Are you looking for SEO Interview Questions? Well, as you know that Search Engine Optimization is the business which is attracting more youngsters and tech professionals nowadays. From earlier 1970’s to mid of 2018, technology had some great and paradigm shift, so does the employability. From past few years the concept of SEO had taken over almost all the tech and marketing grads to another level, they are not just enjoying to be part of this trend but also experiencing the immense pressure to maintain their decorum, to sustain in highly competitive tech and digital world. Today, where digitization had become the key to new world, so does the SEO is. The competition thrusting tech-minds to think something new, something which is very creative and creativity itself is the gigantic concept. Due all this phenomena the paradox remains the same, the world is facing huge competition to list themselves on the top of Google Search List. All the created the huge demand for the SEO experts but as the competition is growing at successive rate the questions are becoming hard-hitting.
So, in this article we are going to discuss some top 100 SEO interview questions along with the answer.
Top 100 SEO Interview Questions
So let’s begin with SEO Interview Questions.
Interviewers usually in this field begin with the hard-hitting question first because they want to see the applicant’s captive and analytical skills in terms of Search Engine Optimization. The first question will began with some history type of things
1) Tell me something about SEO history and Birth?
As I said they will check your ability in beginning so this is the classical example of that question. Do you think this is easy to answer? Than you might be wrong, if you do not believe just search out the history of SEO. Everywhere, you will find the stanza where they say “SEO has obscure etiology of its birth”. So how you can answer this
Answer- Well, the question seems very interesting as like the concept of SEO is but as far as my knowledge is concern there is a big debate on its birth and history, it has obscure etiology of its birth. But I will try to answer because the logic behind the history is until and unless the Search Engine is born the concept of SEO can’t be born. So we can say Search Engine is mother of SEO who have given the birth to SEO but its roots way back during 1958 and 1960’s when Search Engine was born. Apart from that if you want to know the SEO’s history than we can say it might have not exactly born from “Google Page Rank” listing but Google’s birth as search engine ranking could be the most satisfying answer for the birth of SEO, than only it boomed.
2) What do you see more competitive about SEO apart from its competition to remain on top?
Answer- Apart from remaining on top, the competition is how to strategies and stagnant the position on top and I think ranking on top is easy but positioning on top till end is the more competitive and strategic one.
3) You talk about the strategy, if you are at the position where you are facing the competition to index on top constantly, what will be your strategies?
Now they are checking your core analytical and practical skills of SEO. Here, the answer may vary from person to person and it can be your own strategy which you might have either thought off or used off in the past based on that you can say.
Answer- The strategy could be AdWords or something related to keyword stuffing and parallel concept but practically how we optimize the Search Engine Optimization is the matter of concern here. The organization could have not only Plan A and Plan B but should also be ready with Plan C. Because once the competitors at other end might be knowing what strategy you will use after Plan A basically, they can predict your Plan B. So, does we will do, what we can do here by having Plan C after B is we can force them to launch against our Plan B which they would think would be the final one and strategically we can bounce back with Plan C. So, here they will be trapped and freeze for some time until they come up with new strategy.
That’s done. Your analytical skills have been tested.
Now some most obvious questions
4) What is Search Engine?
The most predictive one and the most obvious one
Answer- The web-based search tool which uses World Wide Web to search something which answers the question you have searched or the input you have given, the output can be in terms of snippets based on Search engine’s functionality.
5) Can you differentiate between Search Engine and SEO?
Easy to answer, just one sentence answer, you can find the answer to this question in question 1 also.
Answer- Technically, Search Engine is the web-based software and SEO is the tool used for indexing the content on Search Engine.
6) Do you know about domain?
Answer- Yes, domain is something like www.mrpandya.com here, mrpandya.com is the domain.
7) Is there any tool online to find who the owner of that particular domain is?
Answer- Yes, there are plenty of tool like whoisdomain.com but however, it depends on the domain owner whether he wants to show his name to the finder or not. Usually domain hosting sites have the option to secure or hide the contact information, many time paid one.
8) Can you differentiate between domain and sub-domain, just by example not theoretical?
Answer- In terms of just an example mrpandya.com is the domain and advisor.mrpandya.com is the sub-domain.
9) If we see URL, than there is something called canonical URL, so what exactly it is?
Answer- Canonical URL just works as an element to prevent duplicate content issue, in this the search engine friendly URL that you want the search engines to treat as authoritative. In other words, a canonical URL is the URL that you want visitors to see.
10) What are snippets?
Answer- A small piece of brief extract, as far as meaning was concern. But it is short description about the link and content in much better way to catch the eyes of the audience quickly, more often written with catchy phrase just to make the people to click on link. Technically in programming, it is a small region of re-usable source code, machine code, or text. Ordinarily, these are formally defined operative units to incorporate into larger programming modules (As per exact concept definition).
11) And what do you understand by the term managing the snippets or in technical words Snippet Management?
See, since you have given the technical answer to the previous question so now that answer itself brought out into new question. So, you can answer
Answer- Well, it’s a feature of some text editors, program source code editors, IDEs, and related software. It allows the user to avoid repetitive typing in the course of routine edit operations.
12) Can you give some example of IDE’s?
Answer- Eclipse, NetBeans, Visual Studio are the most famous ones.
13) So can you exactly tell what the importance of IDE in SEO is?
Answer- Well, there is not as importance of IDE in SEO but in technical front an integrated development environment (IDE) is a software application that provides comprehensive facilities to computer programmers for software development. An IDE normally consists of a source code editor, build automation tools, and a debugger. So, there is not direct relationship between SEO and IDE but yes IDE do plays role in SEO.
14) Why it is important for website to be optimized by SEO?
Answer- The importance of SEO is that it is a key tool for the website owners to get more traffic to the website. Optimization of a website is crucial to get traffic and maintain the level over the search engine.
15) Can you differentiate between importance and purpose of SEO?
Remember, this is very logical one, they are testing your knowledge of functionality with respect to SEO. So answer appropriately.
Answer- As I said in response to last question the importance of SEO is that it is key tool for the website owners to get more traffic to the website. Optimization of a website is crucial to get traffic and maintain the level over the search engine and as far as purpose is concern is the process by which people take to make sure that the websites are appealing to the search engines. Even though techniques can vary depending on your industry, the main idea is to make sure the basic white hat tactics are followed on a regular basis.
16) Can you list out the benefits of SEO for an organization or firm?
- The Results are Low Cost (In Comparison to Adwords and PPC
- Definite Increase in Traffic
- Higher Brand Credibility, People Trust Google
- Better ROI (Return on Investment) Than Normal Ads.
- Your Competitors Are Doing It
- Take Your Business to the Next Level
17) So, is it necessary for any organization to list on top, does listing on top on trusted platforms like Google and Bing brings more credibility?
Answer- Certainly, Yes! Who will see the site or content indexed on 10th page of search result, except the students who are copy and pasting the stuffs for the school or college projects (bring humour). When we say Google or Bing or any other search engine like Baiedu, people will consider the top indexed results only because credibility comes from the origin of source and as a matter of fact Google and Bing or any search engine in the world tops the list of being credible source.
18) Then what are the factors on which Google ranks index?
Answer- Content, Backlinks, Crawls and their own page ranking brain.
19) If you search something and pressed enter, you will directed to some page which shows result, what are they called?
Answer- SERP (Search Engine Result Page)
20) And exactly how would you define SERP in technical terms?
Answer- It is has consecutive number of page which display’s the special query entered over as input by the person.
21) Does SERP contains advertisements?
Answer- Yes, it can as per the preference and suitable norms.
22) What is inorganic and organic search and does it have any effect on your content optimization?
Answer- Organic is the real unpaid search whereas inorganic is the paid one and yes it do have effect on optimization
23) How inorganic and organic search can effect in response to last question?
Answer- Organic will remain as original till infinite hours but inorganic has its own variability it may disappear after particular interval. In layman’s language you can say inorganic can’t be more effective because content is the king and engagement is the queen.
24) If you were advised to put up some money for inorganic search, would you recommend it and if yes what type of content it would be?
Answer- If the content is less engaging and has least impact and can’t draw the attention of audience the surely we can pay for inorganic search for particular period.
25) Can you say any single difference between Google Suggest or Autocomplete or it is same? If not same than tell any difference, if it is same than what does exactly it means?
Answer- Well, there is difference just like Search Engine and SEO. Google Suggest is a part of the auto-complete function of Google search engine. When any user enters a word or some letters over the search field, Google shows many associated terms to him/her in a drop down menu. Such suggestions are a collection of the most frequently search terms over the Google search engine.
26) What are meta-tags?
Answer- Meta-tags are the words that are hidden in your code. Usually on website, it is located between <head> and </head>
27) And what are the parts of Meta-tags? Does it have any or not? If yes than can you describe with an example?
Answer- Yes it has. Basically, there are three parts:-
- Title – The title tag is the title text that is shown in search engine listings. I know that this is not necessarily a meta tag, but it similarly functions like one.<title>MrPandya.com</title>
- Description – The meta-description tag is where you would want to put your site’s summary. This is where you put what your site is all about and what you are offering people. It should not be too long because the search engines only read up to a certain number of words. <meta name=”description” content=“Mr.Pandya.com is the financial advisor site by dontgetserious fame blogger Mr. Rohan Pandya ”/>
- Keywords – The meta-keywords tag is where you put all of the keywords you use in your site. This is basically where you want the words which will take you to the top of the SERPs page to be. Your keywords are important – even if you take away all of the other words, the user should be able to know what your site is all about when they read your keywords. <meta name=”keywords” content=“Financial Advisor, Blogger, Content Specialist, Boom your Social media”/>
28) What is internal linking?
Answer- It is process of providing hyper-links on website that are connected with same domain.
29) Then what is outbound and inbound linking? (Most Commpn SEO Interview Question)
Answer- “Inbound links or commonly known as “backlinks” are the links pointing to your site and search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo like it when you have thousands of links pointing to your site but sometimes Google penalizes you for it too if you have poor quality and irrelevant backlinks pointing to your site. Yes, because you have no authority over the inbound links which others post for you. Google only likes it when relevant links point to your site but as you have no control over them you cannot control which sites point to your site. But if your content is rich with information and unique then chances are that people will link to your site and there are more chances that those links will be “dofollow” and you will get some free and targeted traffic to your site. Inbound links that are “dofollow” also increase your website’s PR and SERPs and are considered healthy for any blog or website.
And Outbound links are the links pointing to other websites from your website and you have more control over these links. People have different views about outbound links and many say that it is against the SEO rules and search engines can penalize you for doing this. This approach is wrong; I know Google cannot penalize me if I put a link to Google inside my post. My theory is that you should link to relevant content if it gives more information to your readers. Bloggers are of the view that you lose traffic when you put outbound links in your posts but if you share useful resources then chances are that your readers will stick to your blog and will come back in search of more useful resources. But if you do put outbound links in your posts then make sure they are pointing to relevant, original and informative content”.
30) Can inbound-links can be textual or graphic?
31) Which one will be more appropriate than and why—textual or graphic?
Answer- Textual inbound links are more useful in drawing greater traffic and improving the PageRank level of any webpage.
32) What is HTML and XHTML?
Answer- HTML means Hypertext markup language and XHTML mean Extensible hyper text language.
33) Difference between them?(in response to previous question regarding HTML and XHTML)
Answer- The difference is that HTML is based on SGML and XHTML is based on XML.
34) Can you briefly describe it ( in response to previous answer)
Answer- When using the SGML parser, browsers will continue the parsing even when they encounter a syntax error in the file. This is why so many people think they are doing XHTML when they are sending XML-looking files to the browser. This is actually a mistake since this will trigger many parsing errors in the browser and slow the rendering process. When using the XML parser, browser will stop the parsing when a syntax error is encountered and display an XML error. This is of course only true for browsers that have an XML parser for HTML content, which is not true for Internet Explorer that will only download the file and not display it.
35) Full-form of SGML and XML?
Answer- Standard Generalized Markup Language (SGML) and Extensible Markup Language (XML)
36) Is html5 based on SGML?
Answer- There syntax which are similar but the only difference is that html5 does not need reference to Doc Type Definition or DTD.
37) Since we are talking about mark-up language can you tell why mark-up language is used for and which one is the most used markup language?
Answer- Very simple, and as per textbook definition Markup languages are designed for the processing, definition and presentation of text. The language specifies code for formatting, both the layout and style, within a text file. The code used to specify the formatting are called tags. HTML is an example of a widely known and used markup language.
38) Usually, while hosting a web we see somewhere at our dashboard robots.txt, what exactly it is?
Answer- Robots.txt is basically a commanding extension to tell Search engine bots to prevent the indexation.
39) So, what exactly robot.txt do in common words?
Answer- It prevents the search engine bots to not to visit particular content which you don’t want to display in general.
40) There is something which rates website on scale of 1-100 and it is one of the best key performance metrics. Hint developed by Moz.
Answer – Domain Authority.
41) So what does Google Page rank does?
Answer – Right now it’s not being used and don’t have further upgradation for that but at initial period of Google they used it as algorithm to define the content filtration. It was measuring the importance of web-pages.
42) Can you describe Web-Crawls and spiders?
Answer – Both are one and the same thing, Web crawler, sometimes called a spider or spiderbots and often shortened to crawler, it is an Internet bot that systematically browses the World Wide Web, typically for the purpose of Web indexing.
43) And in technical words what actually Web Indexing is called?
Answer – Web spidering
44) What is the process of submitting website to search engine is called?
Answer – Search Engine submission
45) Is it necessary for one to submit the website to search engine?
Answer – Probably not!
46) What is Google Panda?
Answer – Google Panda is a change to Google’s search results ranking algorithm that was first released in 2011. The change aimed to lower the rank of “low-quality sites” or “thin sites”, in particular “content farms”,and return higher-quality sites near the top of the search results.
47) What is Google Humming bird?
Answer – It defines from speed and accuracy of humming bird. Basically, it is algorithm released in 2013.
48) What is Google Penguin?
Answer – Same as algorithm of Google but The Penguin targeted sites that manifested keyword stuffing as well as those that practiced black-hat SEO. On the other hand, this algorithm rewarded the sites that used white-hat SEO and that were of high quality in a generic sense. It was of 2012.
49) What is Mobilegeddon?
Answer – Mobilegeddon is a name given by webmasters and web-developers to Google’s algorithm update of 2015.The main effect of this update is to give priority to the web sites that display well on smartphones and other mobile devices.
50) Latest Google algorithm as of 2017?
Answer – Fred
51) Can you list Google Algorithm of last 7 years?
52) How often does Google change its algorithm programming?
Answer – It depends, usually 500-600 times a year or on normal basis all search engine changes its algorithm between 2 days to 6 months, it depends.
53) Since, we are talking about Google than what is Google knowledge graph?
Answer – The right most description about the searched query which is displayed in much shorter and precise form at the right hand side of search engine page.
54) What do you do for health check for your website which involves looking at the technical infrastructure of your website to optimize Search Engine visibility, usability and conversion?
Answer- SEO Audit
55) Any 5 famous tools for SEO Audit
56)What is Google Webmasters Tools, Why do you use it?
Answer – It is used for managing our site properties and settings on the Google search engine. Some of the most important features are
Remove pages tool
Fetch as Google Bot
Snippet Testing Tool
57) What is Sitemaps than?
Answer – In simple terms, a Sitemap is an XML file that is full of your individual webpage’s URLs. It’s like an archive of every webpage in your website. This file should be easily discoverable in your site in order for search engine crawlers to stumble upon it.
58) What search queries in Google Webmaster does?
Answer – It can analyze the top queries for our website in 90 days period
59) Then what does Backlink tools in Google webmaster does?
Answer – It analyze the number of backlinks as seen by Google Bot.
60) If an advertiser does a PPC campaign, than SEO ranking will be effected or not? If yes than why and if No than why?
Answer – No, the rank on Paid Results will not affect the organic results. So that we can work on SEO irrespective spending amount on PPC.
Also find out How To Create WordPress Website In 10 Minutes and optimise it for Better search results.
61) What is the purpose of the keyword research in SEO?
Answer – Keyword research in SEO is useful for understanding the keyword search volumes and predict the user demand for a product or service based on the preference set.
62) What is informational query type in SEO?
Answer – The intention of the user is to get knowledge about a specific topic/service.
63) What is navigational query type in SEO?
Answer – Queries that seek an information about specific branded site or website.
64) What is transactional query type in SEO?
Answer – The user intention is to find a product/service and it has transactional nature.
65) Which tool does Google have analyze the present trending topics in Google?
Answer – Google Trends tool to analyze the trending topics in Google.
66) What are the keyword research tools available in the market?
Google Keyword Planner.
Bing Keyword Tool.
WordStream keyword tool.
67) Why is Google AdWords Keyword Planner not displaying actual no of searches?
Answer – Google started restricting the keyword data to non-advertisers account. Only advertisers with active campaigns will be able to now access the data related to monthly volume. Non-advertisers will see only data in the form of range.
68) What is important on page techniques? Any 3
Unique title with relevant keyword
Search engine friendly URLs
Using heading in proper order
69) What are Internal linking, Latent semantic indexing keywords, Schema integration?
Answer – They all are page techniques.
70) Can you briefly describe Latent Semantic Indexing Keyword (LSI)?
Answer- LSI keywords (Latent Semantic Indexing) are basically keywords that are semantically related to your primary keyword. Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT just synonym or keywords that are similar in meaning.
Also View : How To Earn Money Online detailed guide which includes SEO as one of the major money making source.
71) Why Latent Semantic Indexing important for SEO?
Answer – Search engines are always on the hunt for the most relevant and in-depth content for a given query. When you think about how big the internet is, it’s not easy for a site like Google to determine what a page’s content is all about. This is why it rewards sites that include relevant LSI keywords with higher rankings and more traffic. Benefits extend beyond those directly related to SEO, though. Additional and more accurate categorization helps users, publishers, and marketers alike. Publishers, for instance, can increase engagement because LSI-driven content is more targeted and ensures that it’s landing in front of the right audience. Users entering queries also benefit because they can easily (and more quickly) find the content that answers their questions.
72) How can you find LSI?
Answer – Keyword Planner tool of AdWords, Advantage of SERP keyword database analytics and most important LSI keyword generator.
73) What is the optimal length of the Title Tag in terms of characters?
Answer – 55-60 characters is the optimal length of the title.
74) What is Schema?
Answer – The schema is a markup code which provides more useful information to users on SERP’s.
75) What are common types of Schema’s used in websites?
Link Building (Offpage) Optimization
76) What is the use of link building in SEO?
Answer- Links are one of the important elements of SEO and with high-quality links, we can improve the ranking of the site.
77) Can you explain certain norms which to follow while doing link building? (Favourite question of interviewer for SEO interview question)
Answer – Yes, to define the quality of links. We will look at following factors before submissions.
Quality of Backlink
Relevancy of the content between 2 sites
Proper use of Anchor Text
Avoid site-wide links
Avoid links from low-quality sites
78) What is NoFollow Backlink?
Answer – Any link which has the attribute rel=”Nofollow” is called as No Follow backlink. NoFollow backlinks do not pass any value, but still helpful for link diversity.
79) Can you give examples of NoFollow Backlinks?
Answer – Generally all public websites like social media sites, business listing sites etc offer NoFollow backlink. Example: Facebook, YouTube, Wikipedia etc site offer these links.
80) What is cloaking?
Answer – Cloaking is a search engine optimization technique in which the content presented to the search engine spider is different from that presented to the user’s browser.
81) What do you think a website or content should do cloaking in today’s world?
Answer – Since, its Black Hat SEO, so it is illegal to practice.
82) Can you give example for cloaking?
- Serving a page of HTML text to search engines, while showing a page of images to users
- Inserting text or keywords into a page only when the User-agent requesting the page is a search engine, not a human visitor
83) Why do you think Cloaking is illegal?
Answer – Cloaking is implemented in order to improve search engine ranking by misleading the search engine robot into thinking the content on the page is different than it really is. It is often used as a spamdexing technique (search engine spam, search engine poisoning) to try to trick search engines into giving the relevant site a higher ranking. You also might have heard about page cloaking and web cloaking.
84) Is there any difference between keyword density and keyword frequency?
Answer – Almost similar but slight difference is always there.
85) Slight difference in terms of?
Answer – Keyword density is the percentage of times a keyword or phrase appears on a web page. Keyword density can be used as for determining whether a web page is relevant to a specified keyword or keyword phrase. The percentage is always in comparison to the total number of words on the webpage whereas Keyword frequency is the number of times a keyword or phrase appears on a single Web page. So, there is a difference in them.
86) Which Google tool is used as filter placed on new websites as a result of which, a site does not receive good rankings for its most important keywords or phrases.
Answer – Google Sandbox
87) Can you define Google Sandbox?
Answer- Google sandbox is that newer websites are not as relevant as older sites, and they are also more likely to be spam. For this reason, they are restricted and allowed to mature before being allowed to rank well, much as a young child is placed to play in a sandbox by his or her caregiver. Although Google will neither confirm nor deny the existence of the sandbox, it is widely accepted as fact.
88) What are some example of Black Hat SEO?
Keyword Stacking and Keyword Stuffing
Tiny Text, Hidden Text, and Hidden Links
Doorway Pages or Gateway Pages
Duplicate Content or Mirror Site
Blog Spam or Comment Spam
Bait-and-Switch or Page Swapping
89) And some example of White Hat SEO?
Keyword rich meta-tags
Keyword rich meta-description
Keyword rich meta-keywords
90) Do you know the existence of something called Grey Hat SEO, apart from Black & White Hat SEO?
Answer – Yes, Grey Hat SEO do exists.
91) Than what is Grey Hat SEO?
Answer – Grey Hat SEO is neither black or white it is an SEO practice that’s riskier than White Hat SEO, but one that may or may not result in your site being banned from search engines and their affiliate sites. Grey Hat SEO is the practice of using technically legal methods to improve your site rankings, but which are ethically dubious, and could one day become black hat.
92) What does crawl stats shows?
Answer – It provides the activity of the site in last 90 days.
93) What is Alexa Rank?
Answer – It is a tool which shows ranking of your site in your country and worldwide according to the number of unique visitors your site gets every month.
94) Does Alexa ranking justifies that effectiveness of SEO campaign?
Answer – Alexa ranking totally depends on traffic your website gets. So if your site is getting traffic from search engine or social media, your Alexa rank will increase
95) Can you guess who might be top 3 on Alexa rank?
Answer – Google, Facebook, YouTube.
96) If you are in China which search engine will you use?
Answer – Baidu
97) Can you tell what pogo sticking SEO is?
Answer – It is going back and forth from SERP result.
98) How can you define Bounce rate in Google Analytics?
Answer – It is the percentage of visits in which a person leaves your website from the landing page without browsing any further.
99) What is a good session time for a website?
Answer – Usually, 1 minutes 50 sec.
100) In web-content where there are words which are hyperlinked to other web-pages, maybe or maybe not be of that particular website and works as external link, basically, it derives some sort of meaning than they are called?
Answer – Contextual backlink
So, these were some top SEO interview question asked when you apply for a job as SEO executive. Hope next time when you will give the interview you would fly out with bright colours.